Dental Implants Harrisonburg VA
Dental Implants | If you are missing one or more teeth, you may be looking at your options for replacement. Additionally, implants are a great way to restore your smile and the function of your mouth. They look and function like real teeth and can last a lifetime.
At Harrisonburg Family Dentistry, we offer dental implants and other options to improve the appearance of your smile. Here are some common questions our patients have about dental implants. Call us today at (540) 209-8090 to learn more.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant consists of a titanium post that is surgically placed in your jawbone, beneath the gum line. The post serves as the root of your natural tooth. A crown is then placed on top to serve as the natural tooth. There are two main types of dental implants. Endosteal implants are placed directly into the jawbone. Subperiosteal implants are placed on top of the jaw.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants have many benefits. They not only replace missing teeth, but they can also improve your jaw structure to reduce sagging. An implant is sturdy and stable, unlike a denture, which can come loose. The titanium implant allows you to eat your favorite foods without the risk of tooth decay.
Is a dental implant right for you?
If you’re missing one or more teeth, or even all of your teeth, you might be a good candidate for dental implants. Even those who suffer from bone loss can get implants. There are procedures that we can perform to help prepare you for implants if you choose.
If dental implants aren’t a good option for you, we can offer dentures as alternatives. There are two main types”
- Full dentures. Full dentures replace all your teeth on the top, bottom or both. Upper dentures cover the roof of your mouth, while lower dentures are shaped like a horseshoe.
- Partial dentures. A partial denture allows you to keep some of your teeth. The denture rests on a metal framework that attaches to the teeth. An acrylic base is often used so that it matches the color of your gums and creates a natural look. Crowns are sometimes used on your natural teeth to anchor your partial denture in place.
How should you care for your dental implants?
Your dental implants can last a lifetime if you practice good oral health habits at home. To increase success with your new dental implants, we recommend the following:
- Brush and floss daily.
- Get your teeth cleaned and examined at least every six months.
- If you smoke, consider quitting.
- Avoid eating hard foods such as hard candy and ice.
Contact Our Office Today
Dental implants are just one option to replace missing teeth. If you’re interested in improving your self-confidence and maintain a beautiful smile, there are many ways our team can help. To learn more about your options, call Harrisonburg Family Dentistry today at (540) 209-8090. For your convenience, you can also schedule an appointment online. We look forward to helping you achieve your smile goals.
If dental implants aren’t optimal for you — whether it’s because of some dental condition, your financial situation, or your personal preferences — we can provide complete dentures or partial dentures as alternatives.
- Full Dentures: Dentures are removable dental appliances that replace your missing teeth. If we suggest a full denture, the appliance replaces all your teeth (whether on the top or bottom). The base of upper dentures covers the roof of your mouth, while lower dentures are shaped like a horseshoe to accommodate your tongue.
- Partial Dentures: A partial denture rests on a metal framework that attaches to your remaining teeth. We often cover this metal framework with an acrylic base that matches the color of your gums for a more natural look. He might also place crowns on your natural teeth to anchor your partial denture.
How should you care for your dental implants?
Although you don’t have to worry about issues like tooth decay, taking care of your gums is crucial in maintaining success with your implants. With good oral hygiene habits at home, your dental implants can last a lifetime.
We recommend the following tips to increase success with your new implants:
- Brush twice a day and floss at least once daily.
- If you’re a smoker, try to quit.
- Schedule a dental cleaning and exam at least once every six months.
- Avoid eating hard foods like ice or hard candy
If you’re interested in learning more about your dental options to replace missing teeth, call Harrsionburg Family Dentistry today, or schedule an appointment online.